American Idol Report: Top 13
The night had its high points and its low points and those bits in between that will be forgotten by next week.
So I will briefly share my thoughts on the individual performance before I discuss who went home and who survives another week.
- I love Lauren Alaina, but I did not love this performance. There was something that just didn’t work for me at all. A very luke-warm start to the show.
- I want so much to not like Casey Abrams, but God damn it he’s good! His voice is so fantastic and and he’s so talented.
- Ashton Jones did nothing for me this week, or ever really. So painfully mediocre and dull.
- Paul McDonald has a very interesting voice, but when he performs he looks a little bit stoned or slightly retarded. Not a huge fan.
- Pia Toscano has this amazing big voice that she just seems to control so effortlessly, and she is drop dead gorgeous too. She was absolutely perfect.
- James Durban really reminds me of Adam Lambert from season 8, and he made it to the final two. His style is just so unique and refreshing. James is fan-freakin-tastic! Candidate for best performance of the night.
- Haley Reinhart does some very interesting things with her voice and she’s starting to grow on me. It was simple and sexy and I liked it.
- There was absolutely nothing that I liked about Jacob Lusk’s performance. From his tacky pink plaid tie to the church choir back-up singers to the cheesy cloud backdrop. I’ve never liked his voice or the song he sang. To be honest it kind of sounded like cat being swung in circles by its tail at the end. Just hated it. Candidate for worst performance of the night.
- Thia Megia started off really nicely and then the arrangement went to crap. I agree with the judges – she should have stuck to the simple arrangement at the beginning.
- I really detest Stefano Lagone and it really pisses me off that he’s in the Top 13 and that the judges are so damn enthralled with him. I thought it was so awful.
- Karen Rodriguez was just ok for me. Not bad but not great either.
- I’ve said it before, but Scotty McCreery’s music style is just not for me. So I didn’t really like it, but if you like that type of music it was good.
- What a fantastic way to wrap up the night! The performance was so unique and entertaining and I love Naima Adedapo to death. Yes her vocals had a couple of missteps but it does not matter. She is such a breath of fresh air. Love it!
On results night it came down to Karen, Haley or Ashton going home. I was a little disappointed to see Haley in the bottom after I just started warming up to her. But ultimately she was safe and Ashton Jones was sent packing, with the judges (rightfully) deciding not to use their ‘save’ and give Ashton another second chance.
I’ve never liked Ashton much and I thought there were others from the Top 24 who deserved to be picked as wild cards last week more than her. So I was not sad to see her go in the least.
What did you think of the Top 13 this week? Did you think the right person went home? Who are your picks for best and wort performance of the night? Hit the comments or share your thoughts with me @CDWB on Twitter. And please tune in next week for my American Idol Report.