American Idol Report: Top 24
Here we go, second American Idol report. First I will review each performance from the top 24 and then reveal who got through. There are people I was very happy to see make it and those I am so glad to never see again and those I was shocked to see leave and horrified to see stay.
Anyway on to the report.
First to perform for America’s votes were the Top 12 guys:
- Clint Jun Gamboa was the first to take the stage. To be honest I really did not get it; his voice was ok, but his performance was like a bad Austin Powers movie and it was just weird for me.
- Jovanny Barreto gave his best impression of insanely cheesy and slightly intoxicated karaoke singer that was just terrible.
- Jordan Dorsey’s performance was awkward and clumsy and I really didn’t like the song he was covering in the first place, so did not like it at all.
- Tim Halperin was the first performance I didn’t cringe through and was really cool and laid back; just his style.
- And then here was Brett Loewenstern who could not have been more cringe-worthy with his silly-hair-flip dancing and nails-on-a-chalk-board voice. Yuk.
- James Durban was absolutely perfect in my opinion. He used just enough of the high scream that it didn’t get annoying – which he can tend to do for me – and generally rocked.
- The judges didn’t seem that enthused with Robbie Rosen, but I really liked the way he mixed the song up and made it his own.
- I’m not a huge fan of Scotty McCreery’s style of music but his performance was really good. I wouldn’t go so far as to say I liked it though.
- My candidate for worst performance of the week was one Stefano Langone. I thought the vocals were shaky and flat and he really just brutally butchered a good song. What I don’t get is the judges seemed to think it was amazing. Why in God’s name? I do not know.
- Paul McDonald is a really weird dude. It didn’t do anything much for me, but it was a fine performance.
- Jacob Lusk just annoys me as a person so I was predisposed to hate his performance. However, if I closed my eyes and didn’t look at his annoying face the singing was alright. I really don’t like him though.
- Casey Abrams also annoys me a lot, but his voice was really good and again it would have been better if I didn’t have to look at him.
Onto the lovely ladies, who I think are the frontrunners this season:
- Ta-Tynisa Wilson was the first to perform and I’m going to take a page out of former judge Paula Abdul’s book and start off by saying she looked great. But I agree with Randy on this one – I just did not get it.
- I love Naima Adedapo! I think she is remarkable. LOVE HER! That is all.
- Kendra Chantelle is really a stunning performer. She is gorgeous and her voice is just as beautiful.
- I’ll admit, I was sceptical about Rachel Zevita up until this point. I love her style, but I wasn’t sure she was a great artist. But I so disagree with the judges, I thought it was an amazing sexy performance.
- Karen Rodriguez was just alright for me. The song is such a karaoke song, but I thought the switching between Spanish and English was kind of cool.
- Lauren Turner has a surprisingly good voice and the performance was solid but easily forgetable.
- I really don’t know what it is but I’m just not a fan of Ashton Jones. She is a lovely girl but I thought it was a strained performance and it just did not sit right with me.
- I’ve loved Julie Zorilla for a while now, but I did not love this performance at all. Just not great in any way. I think Steven was right – not her song at all.
- Hailey Reinhart is a bit weird for me and has been since her first audition and I agree with Randy – not great.
- A little girl with a big, big voice. Thia Megia is a very talented kid, this girl is starting to grow on me.
- Lauren Alaina is such a little fire-cracker. Jennifer was absolutely right, it’s just so effortless for her and she is such a natural. She is one hell of a performer and I really, really want to see her go far. My candidate for best performance of the week.
- Pia Toscano was fantastic, I don’t know what else to say. Just fantastic.
So that’s what I thought, and I will probably regret this come the final but I predict a female winner this year because the girls were on fire this week!
And now it’s time to find out what America thought. The Top 13 of season 10 are: Ashton Jones, Casey Abrams, Haley Reinhart, Jacob Lusk, James Durban, Karen Rodriguez, Lauren Alaina, Naima Adedapo, Paul McDonald, Pia Toscano, Scotty McCreery, Stefano Langone (seriously! WTF!) and Thia Megia.
So that means we say goodbye to Brett Loewenstern, Clint Jun Gamboa,Jordan Dorsey, Jovanny Barreto, Julie Zorrila, Kendra Chantelle, Lauren Turner, Rachel Zevita, Robbie Rosen, Ta-Tynisa Wilson and Tim Halperin.
The Top 13 are here! What do you think of them. Hit the comments or tell me what you thought on Twitter @CDWB. Tune in next week for my American Idol Report.